Saturday, March 1, 2008

study



I haven't seen too many scientific studies about iyengar yoga yet. But one study from the University of Washington State concluded that iyengar yoga promotes well being in breast cancer survivors.

You can read the full story here.

Rather than just focusing on restorative poses, the traditional Iyengar approach was taken:

  • standing poses (to develop physical strength);
  • chest and shoulder openers; and
  • inversions - the back bone of Iyengar yoga.

They study also concluded that yoga provides positive psychological effects on the breast cancer survivors, but doesn't elaborate on the topic.

Scientific research aside, I have observed yoga's psychophysical effects in my own experience: an asana practice usually clears my mind and balances my emotions.

No comments: